What are the do’s and don’ts after Botox and fillers? Can I wear makeup after Morpheus8? Is this sunburn feeling after a VI Peel normal?! In this post, we breakdown what to expect and the best aftercare tips for some of our most popular treatments.
» Aftercare for Botox/Dysport
» Aftercare for Dermal Fillers
» Aftercare for VI Peel
» Aftercare for Morpheus8
Aftercare for Botox and Dysport
We begin with the ever-popular Botox and Dysport. After receiving Botox or Dysport injections, it’s important to follow these guidelines to ensure the best results and minimize any potential side effects. Here are some do’s and don’ts to keep in mind:
- Do keep the treated area clean: Gently cleanse the area with a mild cleanser, but avoid rubbing or massaging the treated area for the first 24 hours.
- Do be patient: It takes time for the effects of Botox or Dysport to become noticeable. Be patient and wait for the full results to develop, which typically takes several days to two weeks.
- Do maintain an upright position: For the first few hours after treatment, it’s recommended to stay in an upright position and avoid lying down. This helps prevent the spreading of the toxin to unintended areas.
- Do apply ice or a cold compress: If you experience any swelling or discomfort at the injection site, you can apply a cold compress or ice pack wrapped in a cloth for short periods. Be sure not to apply it directly to the skin to avoid frostbite.
- Do wait before exercising: Avoid engaging in strenuous exercise or activities for at least 24 hours after treatment. Intense physical activity can increase blood flow and potentially displace the injected toxin.
- Don’t rub or massage the treated area: Avoid touching or massaging the treated area for the first 24 hours. Rubbing or applying pressure can cause the toxin to spread to unintended muscles.
- Don’t lie down immediately after treatment: It’s recommended to stay in an upright position for the first few hours after the injections to prevent the spreading of the toxin.
- Don’t expose the treated area to excessive heat: Avoid saunas, steam rooms, hot tubs, or prolonged sun exposure for at least 24 hours. Heat can increase blood flow and potentially interfere with the results.
- Don’t consume alcohol excessively: Alcohol consumption can increase the risk of bruising and bleeding at the injection site. It’s best to avoid excessive alcohol intake for the first 24 hours.
- Don’t take certain medications or supplements: Some medications and supplements, such as blood thinners, aspirin, and high-dose vitamin E, can increase the risk of bruising. Consult with your healthcare provider about any medications or supplements you are taking before your treatment.
Aftercare for Dermal Filler
After receiving dermal filler injections, proper aftercare is crucial to ensure optimal results and minimize potential side effects. Here are some general guidelines for dermal filler aftercare:
- Avoid touching or applying pressure to the treated area: Refrain from touching, rubbing, or applying pressure to the injected area for at least six hours after the treatment. This helps prevent the filler from shifting and ensures it settles properly.
- Apply cold compresses if needed: If you experience swelling, redness, or discomfort at the injection site, you can apply a cold compress wrapped in a cloth for short periods. This can help reduce swelling and provide relief. Be sure not to apply ice directly to the skin to avoid frostbite.
- Stay hydrated: Drink plenty of water after your treatment to keep your body and skin hydrated. Proper hydration supports the healing process and helps maintain the results of the dermal filler.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and excessive heat: For at least 24 to 48 hours after the treatment, avoid engaging in intense physical activity or exposure to excessive heat. Sweating and increased blood flow can affect the settling of the filler and increase the risk of swelling or bruising.
- Avoid alcohol and blood-thinning medications: To minimize the risk of bruising, it’s advisable to avoid consuming alcohol and blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), for a few days before and after the treatment. However, always consult with your healthcare provider before stopping any prescribed medication.
- Protect your skin from the sun: Direct sun exposure can affect the appearance and longevity of dermal fillers. Therefore, it’s important to protect the treated area from harmful UV rays. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF and wear a wide-brimmed hat or use an umbrella when going outdoors.
- Avoid makeup for a few hours: It’s best to avoid applying makeup to the treated area for a few hours after the treatment. This allows the filler to settle undisturbed.
- Follow our aftercare recommend routine: Our team at Bloom Plastic Surgery will recommend specific medications, ointments or creams to apply post-treatment. Follow our instructions carefully and apply them as directed to promote healing and reduce discomfort.
Aftercare for VI Peel
After undergoing a VI Peel, it’s important to understand what to expect during the recovery process. The VI Peel is a chemical peel that aims to improve skin tone, texture, and address various skin concerns. Here are some tips on what to expect and how to manage the post-peel period:
- Immediate effects: After the VI Peel, you may experience redness and a warm or tingling sensation on the treated area. This is normal and typically subsides within a few hours.
- Peeling and flaking: Within one to three days after the peel, you can expect peeling and flaking of the skin. This is a natural part of the exfoliation process. Avoid picking or forcefully removing the peeling skin, as it can lead to irritation and potential scarring.
- Moisturize: Our team will recommend a post-peel moisturizer to help soothe and hydrate the treated skin. Apply the moisturizer as instructed to alleviate dryness and discomfort during the peeling phase.
- Sun protection: Protecting your skin from the sun is crucial during the post-peel period and beyond. UV exposure can damage the newly revealed skin and increase the risk of hyperpigmentation. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF daily and limit sun exposure by wearing protective clothing and seeking shade when outdoors.
- Avoid makeup and other irritants: It’s best to avoid using makeup or other potentially irritating skincare products for the first few days following the VI Peel. Let your skin heal naturally and give it time to recover without additional stress or ingredients that may cause irritation.
- Follow the provided aftercare instructions: The Bloom Plastic Surgery team will give you specific aftercare instructions based on your skin type and the intensity of the peel. Follow these guidelines carefully to promote healing and optimize the results of the peel.
- Be patient: Results from a VI Peel may take time to fully manifest. It’s important to be patient and allow your skin to go through its natural healing process. Typically, improvements in skin texture, tone, and clarity become more apparent in the weeks following the peel.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin hydrated and aids in the healing process. Aim to drink an adequate amount of water each day to support the recovery of your skin.
- Avoid excessive heat: Refrain from activities that generate excessive heat, such as hot showers, saunas, steam rooms, or hot tubs for a few days after the peel. Heat can increase inflammation and interfere with the healing process.
Aftercare for Morpheus8
After undergoing Morpheus8 treatment, it is essential to follow proper aftercare instructions to ensure optimal healing and results. Morpheus8 is a minimally invasive procedure that combines microneedling with radiofrequency energy to stimulate collagen production and improve skin texture. Here are some guidelines for aftercare:
- Keep the area clean: Gently cleanse the treated area with a mild cleanser. Avoid harsh scrubbing or rubbing. Use lukewarm water and pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply prescribed ointments or creams: Our team at Bloom Plastic Surgery will recommend specific ointments or creams to apply post-treatment. Follow our instructions carefully and apply them as directed to promote healing and reduce discomfort.
- Protect the treated area: Shield the treated area from direct sunlight and harmful UV rays. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF (30 or above) every day, even if you’re indoors. Consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat or using an umbrella when going outside.
- Avoid excessive heat: Refrain from activities that generate excessive heat, such as hot showers, saunas, steam rooms, or hot tubs for at least 48 hours following the procedure. Prolonged exposure to heat can increase inflammation and interfere with the healing process.
- Be gentle with your skin: Avoid using harsh skincare products, exfoliants, or scrubs on the treated area until it has fully healed. Also, refrain from picking, scratching, or rubbing the skin to prevent infection and scarring.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking an adequate amount of water helps maintain your skin’s health and aids in the healing process. Aim to drink at least eight glasses of water per day to keep your skin hydrated from within.
- Avoid makeup and other irritants: For the first 24-48 hours, avoid applying makeup or other cosmetic products to the treated area. These products can introduce bacteria or irritants that may hinder the healing process.
- Expect some downtime: Depending on the intensity of the treatment, you may experience redness, swelling, or mild bruising. These side effects are temporary and should subside within a few days to a week. If you have any concerns, contact your healthcare provider.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: To optimize the results of your Morpheus8 treatment, adopt a healthy lifestyle. This includes eating a balanced diet, getting regular exercise, managing stress levels, and avoiding smoking or excessive alcohol consumption.
Remember that individual experiences may vary, and it is crucial to consult with our team for personalized aftercare instructions. We will provide specific guidance based on your skin type, treatment intensity, and any other factors relevant to your case.