Choosing to undergo breast reconstruction plastic surgery is a life-altering decision and patients should decide on it only after evaluating all aspects of the procedure and after obtaining complete clarity on the surgery process.
At the time of the initial consultation, the patient will be able to pose any questions that they may have to the surgeon. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jacob Bloom provides breast reconstruction to patients in Chicago, IL, and surrounding locations.
List of Questions
Ideally, the patient should create a list of any questions that she may have regarding the procedure or the surgeon’s background in advance of the consultation to make sure that no vital questions are missed out.
The surgeon will provide the patient with detailed and accurate answers to the questions to help her make a poignant decision.
- Are you board certified in plastic surgery from the ABPS?
- What number of years of experience and training do you have in plastic surgery?
- Have you performed breast surgeries in the past?
- What would breast reconstruction surgery technique be suitable in my case?
- What duration of time will I need to commit to the entire process of reconstruction?
- How long will it take to complete the reconstructive procedure inside the operating room?
- What surgical facility will the breast reconstruction surgery take place in?
- Am I a suitable candidate for breast reconstruction?
- Are the results that I am expecting reasonable?
- Can you display breast reconstruction ‘before and after’ pictures?
- Where will the surgical scars occur?
- What type of anesthesia would be used for this surgery?
- What are the lifestyle changes and preparation that I will have to undertake before the procedure?
- What will be the post-op downtime and how many days of leave will I need from work?
- What are the possible risks and complications associated with breast reconstruction surgery?
- If I am unhappy with the results of my procedures, what will be my options for reconstructive surgery?
- What are the cost estimates for breast reconstruction, including pre and post-surgical expenses?
- Will your administrative staff offer me guidance or assistance on my medical insurance claim?
- Can I view the testimonials of past patients to understand their experience at your practice?
The patient should understand the recommendations of the surgeon for the breast reconstructive cosmetic surgery technique.
Both breast implant surgery and flap reconstruction have specific benefits and limitations. If the patient is unclear on the techniques, they should express their concerns and get complete clarity for their surgeon.
Tissue Expander-related Questions
If the patient lacks adequate skin in the breast region to support the implant, the surgeon may recommend a tissue expander technique. The patient should understand whether a tissue expander is necessary or not in her case as well as assess her level of comfort with the surgeon’s recommended plan.
The patient should decide on proceeding with the procedure only after she is completely satisfied with the surgeon’s answers to her questions.
To make the process more seamless, she should note down her questions in advance and carry this list to pre-operative consultation. This will ensure that no important questions are missed out.
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Jacob Bloom receives patients from Chicago, IL, and nearby areas for breast reconstruction.