When an individual is considering tummy tuck cosmetic surgery, and has short-listed a surgical practice, their first step should be to schedule a detailed consultation with the surgeon. The consultation should preferably be scheduled several weeks ahead of the planned date of surgery so that the patient gets adequate time to prepare for it.
A sound consultation will create a solid foundation for a successful tummy tuck surgery. Patients in Chicago, IL, and surrounding locations have an opportunity to receive tummy tuck and various other cosmetic and reconstructive procedures from board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jacob Bloom.
During the consultation process, the surgeon will examine the general health condition of the patient to determine their fitness for the plastic surgery and anesthesia. Patient’s health records will be reviewed, and in a few cases, some medical tests may be ordered to learn about any underlying medical condition.
The surgeon will also examine the extent of skin laxity, skin type and the condition of abdominal muscles to create an appropriate surgical plan for tummy tuck. They will instruct the patient to refrain from smoking for a certain time period, and may adjust the schedule of certain prescription and non-prescription medications that the patient may be currently using.
Aesthetic Goals of the Patient
Tummy tuck procedure is a personal journey for a patient. They will have their unique aesthetic goals and desires which they want to fulfill through this procedure. The surgeon will encourage the patient to share these goals so that they can incorporate this feedback into their custom surgery plan.
The choice of tummy tuck surgical technique, the location of incisions and whether liposuction or another procedure may be combined with tummy tuck are some of the decisions that will made based on the patient’s goals.
These inputs enable the surgeon to tailor the surgery plan in a way to make it less invasive and more effective. Experienced cosmetic surgeon Dr. Bloom receives patients from Chicago, IL, and other communities around his hometown city for tummy tuck surgery.
The patient should be forthcoming about sharing all the relevant information with the surgeon in a clear and transparent manner. This will help ensure their own safety and improve the chances of success of the procedure. They should be prepared to discuss:
- Personal aesthetic goals and aspirations.
- Current and previous medical condition, ongoing treatments, and drug allergies.
- Previous surgeries, if any.
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, and use of tobacco or alcohol.
During the consultation, the surgeon will:
- Assess the patient’s general health condition and risk factors
- Take photos of the pre-op condition for records
- Explain various treatment options and estimated costs of each
- Discuss any non-invasive or minimally invasive alternatives
- Suggest the optimal treatment plan
- Inform the expected results of tummy tuck surgery
- List the potential risks and side effects
- Give instructions for the recovery phase
- Answer the patient’s questions and concerns
The patient should ideally prepare a checklist of questions that they can ask during the consultation for tummy tuck surgery.