Top Plastic Surgery Procedures for Women and Men

Looking good is the innate desire of every human being. Cosmetic surgery procedures have made it possible to enhance physical appearance and extent a youthful look. Every year millions of surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures are performed in the US with successful outcomes.  

Over the decades, the popularity of aesthetic procedures has consistently surged due to improving techniques and technology. Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jacob Bloom provides state of the art surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures to patients in Chicago, IL, and surrounding communities across the Midwest landscape.


Growing Popularity

The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) in its latest multi-specialty statistical report has stated that American women and men spent more than $15 billion on plastic surgery and non-surgical cosmetic procedures in 2016. This represents a year on year growth of 11 percent over the previous year.

About 56 percent of the procedures were related to cosmetic surgery, while the remaining 44 percent were non-surgical procedures. $15 billion is, in fact, the largest amount spent on these procedures in one year ever since ASAPS started its Cosmetic Surgery National Data Bank Statistics survey 20 years ago.

ASAPS figures reveal a new developing trend that patients now increasingly seek more refined aesthetic procedures. Fat transfer breast augmentation, for example, is now sought by many women in place of traditional breast implants to increase breast size. Breast lift also continues to be preferred as a more subtle procedure compared to breast implant surgery.

But this trend does not imply that the absolute demand for breast implant surgery has reduced. More women are still seeking breast implant surgery to accentuate their breast appearance. Furthermore, procedures that were once considered niche, such as labiaplasty, are now becoming mainstream. Demand for men’s procedures also reveals year on year growth, particularly for popular procedures such as double chin reduction and liposuction.


Top Five Procedures

The five most popular aesthetic surgery procedures in 2016, as per the ASAPS data, for both women and men combined, include:

  • Liposuction – 414,335 procedures
  • Breast Augmentation – 310,444 procedures
  • Tummy Tuck – 181,540 procedures
  • Eyelid Surgery – 173,883 procedures
  • Breast Lift – 161,412 procedures



For several years, liposuction has ranked among the top five procedures. Laser and ultrasound technologies are also now combined with liposuction to create more precise outcomes.  


Breast Augmentation

Both breast implant surgery and fat transfer breast augmentation are consistently in demand. The FDA approval for form stable breast implants has further boosted the demand for breast implant surgery.


Tummy Tuck

Excessive fat and loose skin in the abdominal area have become a common problem for both women and men. Tummy tuck can successfully restore a flatter, firmer abdomen and more youthful midsection contours.


Eyelid Surgery

Lower or upper eyelid surgery or both can be performed to enhance the eyelid appearance and create a youthful upper face. The procedure can mitigate the effect of under eye bags and remove loose skin from upper lids.


Breast lift

Breast lift can create more youthful, firmer breasts by excising loose skin and repositioning the nipples to a more youthful level. The procedure is often performed together with breast augmentation.

Stellar and judicious cosmetic surgeon Dr. Bloom receives patients from Chicago, IL, and nearby areas for various aesthetic procedures.