All too often, we take our perky, sexy breasts for granted, not realizing how quickly or how drastically age, hormonal changes, and life events can undermine their youthful profile. Yet sadly, the shape, symmetry, and positioning of our breasts can change quickly, losing volume and elasticity, showing unwelcome signs of drooping and sagging (ptosis); even our nipples can descend and point down instead of out. Loss of volume and elasticity can happen in the breasts for a variety of reasons, including:
• Weight loss or fluctuation
A mastopexy (also known as a “breast lift”) with Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jacob Bloom at Bloom Plastic Surgery in Chicago, IL targets drooping, sagging breasts by removing excess skin and lifting the breast and nipple/areolar complex position into a more pleasing and youthful position. Whether performed alone or in conjunction with a breast augmentation (for add volume and fullness), a breast lift is a highly effective surgical tool that can restore your bust line as well as your confidence and feminine beauty!
Options for achieving a lifted, youthful breast profile
Your specific breast lift procedure will be individually-tailored depending on the degree of ptosis (drooping) you are experiencing and will most often be determined by the position of the nipple. For patients seeking additional fullness or volume, especially at the top of the breasts, a breast augmentation with implants may be performed simultaneously. In general, there are four different types of lifts:
• Crescent Lift: For mild ptosis, Dr. Bloom will excise a crescent-shaped amount of skin from the top of the areola, using an incision along the areolar complex where the skin color changes in order to hide the scar.
• Circumareolar Lift: Also known as a Benelli lift, this lift involves excising a doughnut-shaped amount of skin around the areola. A purse-string type suture pulls and tightens the skin for additional lift. This procedure can also be used to reduce the size of the areola. Again, the incision is made around the areolar complex to minimize visible scarring.
• Vertical Lift: Appropriate for patients with more extensive ptosis, a vertical or “lollipop” lift removes excess or lax skin around the areolar complex and in a vertical line down to the crease underneath the breast.
• Full Lift: This lift is appropriate for patients with extensive ptosis, and can completely change the appearance of severely drooping breasts. Also known as an “anchor lift” or wise pattern, the full lift involves removing excess skin along incisions around the areola, down the breast, and along the breast crease.
• Combined Augmentaion Mastopexy: In some cases the breast tissue has deflated to a point that a lift alone will not restore the volume need to accomplish a patient’s aesthetic goals. In these cases, a mastopexy can be combined with an augmentation to both lift the breast tissue and enhance the breast volume simultaneously.
Breast lift procedure and recovery
Breast lift surgery can be performed on an outpatient basis under IV sedation. The duration of the procedure will depend on the extent of the lift and whether an augmentation or other ancillary procedure is performed simultaneously. After the procedure, all incisions will be covered with a bandage and you will be asked to wear a light support bra. Dr Jacob Bloom utilizes techniques that do not require a drain after surgery. You should keep the bra and bandages on for at least two days, or until your first post-operative visit. Patients can begin showering within two days, facing away from the water while bathing. Patients should avoid submerging in water such as a bathtub, Jacuzzi or swimming pool, for at least 2 weeks until the incisions are waterproof. Most patients find they need at least a week off of work and before resuming light daily activities, and you must avoid heavy lifting and strenuous exercise for several months. When possible, Dr. Bloom places incisions around the areola and underneath the breast to minimize scarring, and although scars are permanent, even scars in visible areas will fade over time until they are a barely noticeable to a fine white line.
Why Choose Dr. Bloom?
Why select Chicago-native Dr. Jacob Bloom as your cosmetic surgeon? Because you shouldn’t trust something as important as your appearance to just anyone! When you choose Dr. Bloom, you are choosing a warm and caring surgeon whom you can trust to make your health, your comfort, and your beauty his number one priority!
Lead plastic surgeon at Bloom Plastic Surgery in Chicago, IL, Dr. Jacob Bloom is Board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. His extensive knowledge of today’s advanced surgical techniques, coupled with his years of medical training in New York and Harvard University, allow him to create customized treatment plans that can match the unique goals of each and every patient, while delivering long-lasting results that will subtly—yet still dramatically—enhance your natural beauty.
If you are interested in learning more about how to improve your physique through breast lift with Dr. Bloom, we encourage you to contact our office to schedule your consultation today. We look forward to hearing from you!